Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Grandma status?

Life has been crazy, but that's not anything new. When is life not chaotic?  Rumors are true.  My sister has officially tagged me with the "grandma" status.... whatever, she's Captain Consumer. For the past couple of months, I have been sewing like crazy.  Prior to April, I didn't know how to sew (and its debatable as to whether I "know" how to sew now).  Seriously, I don't and still don't know how to sew buttons.  I know, pathetic.  But, after a lot of time experimenting, asking my mom and aunt, books, the internet and laying awake thinking about how one would make something, I figured it out! 


The above bosu (I think that's what its called, but may have just made it up) lei was the first one that I made.  It required a ton of measuring, counting and I had paying attention. 

 
When my grandmother was still around, she made all of us grandkids several ribbon leis.  However, the one that she made for all of us (or at least all of us girls, aunts included) was a pikake ribbon lei. It was her favorite! Sadly, my grandmother  passed away before all of her grandchildren graduated from high school.  So, my mom unselfishly gave her pikake lei to my cousin when she graduated a couple of years ago.   I don't know if my cousin (or my aunt, Mom's sister) really appreciates what Mom did, but I made it my mission to figure out how to recreate the pikake lei.  I studied my lei, looked at pictures and finally figured out the stitch length and pattern.  The above lei is very similar to the one my grandma made for Mom - white with a red ribbon.  I gave Mom this lei on Mother's Day.

 

What can I say about this cigar lei?  It took approximately 200 yards (100 yards per color) of ribbon to make.  I made two of these leis.  Can you guess where the recipients will be going to college?  (Hint:  GO COUGS!) I bought out all of the crimson ribbon that the stores had in the area, so my aunt brought back some several bolts from HI so I could finish these leis.  It is a good thing that I bleed crimson and gray and didn't mind seeing these two colors!  :)  Anytime I had down time (aka anytime I wasn't working, sleeping, working out/cycling or eating), I was sewing - at Add's soccer games, in the evenings, etc... hence, the grandma tag.  I carted around a shopping bag that contained bolts of ribbon, sharp scissors, extra thread, fray check, a ribbon holder thingy, etc. and would sew whenever I could. 

I have had a lot of fun learning how to sew ribbon leis. Anyone want to graduate or have a special occasion so that I can continue to sew?  Ha!  Until next year, I guess it is time for a new project. Does anyone have some good ideas? 

1 comment:

*ehu. said...

Gorgeous!! I'm currently trying to making ribbon leis like my Mom & Tutu (grandma) use to make. I love this Pikake style!